3.14.2006

Post-Partum Projects
Do you guys ever find yourselves missing old projects? I just finished up this big one, where I’ve spent all my daydreams for the last several months, and I really miss it. Sure they're just fantasy worlds, but when we invest them with time and effort, a piece of us is left there even after the project is done and gone to print.

Funny that I didn’t see that coming. Thankfully, I just got an invitation from a friend to help out on a series of adventures, in the tradition of the old Drow/Slavers/Giants modules. If it gets the green light it will probably run around 120k words, or so, just enough to be meaty but not overwhelming. The project is still in its infancy, but it gives me something to look forward to after May.

On a different note I wonder if there isn’t something potentially unhealthy about falling in love with our dream worlds. Given the chance, I could easily spend all my working hours spiraling inward.

Fortunately, I’m in no financial position to do that anytime soon. :) Nothing like paying rent to ground you in the real world.

Heh. Sanity: Another hidden benefit of being a poor freelancer!

6 comments:

Kameron said...

Oh, yeah. Am I thankful that all my paperbacks are packed away in storage, or I'd be tempted to pull out Maiden and re-read it when I hit a wall. Then I'd start daydreaming about where I'd like to go with Ythnel's story instead of focusing on the current project.

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Ask me again if I ever finish a novel, heh. ;)

Stuart said...

"Ask me again if I ever finish a novel, heh. ;)"

/sigh

Ditto

Though, as long as its taking me to finish, I think I'll be only too happy to see it go. :)

ec said...

"Spiraling inward..." That's a very good way to describe one of the pitfalls of writing.

I thought that spending so many years in the Realms created an unusual level of absorption, but it appears that a couple of books set in current time and in your own back yard can also add a layer to reality. Not long ago, as we drove into Providence I pointed out a tall brick building and observed, "See that corner condo with the balcony? That's where Marcy and Trudy live..."

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Not me, BTW...the Marcy from her Changeling books. Just in case anyone was confused ;)

ec said...

Heh. :) Shoulda thought of that!