2.28.2007

Winter Bound
So despite Jeff’s prediction of the end of winter we are nowhere close out here in Colorado. Snow is coming down, roads are closing --- good times. Bah. What does Jeff know about weather anyhow?

In anticipation of GenCon I downloaded a couple new books last night. Now I’m all fired up to run a new campaign. It’s fun, but a little disconcerting to think that whatever we play will probably end up as published source material at some point.

Strange times.

I’m also finishing up a special release for Goodman Games. Kam mentioned a while back that it was getting too expensive to keep up with all the releases, but this one should be pretty easy on the pocketbook. I’ll let you know more when we get closer to the release date.

Last week H and I went down to Santa Fe to scout out places for a restaurant*, and I had the chance to spend several hours in a forge, meticulously crafting glowing pieces of iron into … different shaped pieces of iron. I’m not going to be folding katanas any time soon, but just getting the chance to hammer on a glowing rod of metal was fun. As might be expected, hammering on an anvil for an afternoon is a real workout – that night H and I went out to dinner and it was challenging to even hold a water glass in my left hand. That sort of thing just makes me smile.

Anyhow. More later this week as some projects come into focus. Till then, stay warm.

//H


*Bad joke/reference. Sorry.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have several friends who are decent blacksmiths, and they seem to think it's a worthy way to spend your time.

You going to play in my DragonMech adventure at GenCon? :)

Harley said...

D,

Sweet! Heck yeah! I've been dying to play DragonMech since I bought the book 2 years (!?) ago, but I've never had a group. Grease Monkey Stroh, reporting for duty, sir!

//H

Jeff LaSala said...

Ohh, I know about the weather. And I know it's out to get me...

This post about actually forging stuff makes me think of a fun post by Bruce Cordell:

http://tinyurl.com/ysednp

Kameron said...

"Kam mentioned a while back that it was getting too expensive to keep up with all the releases . . . ."

I did? It must have been quite a while ago, as I don't remember. Of course, that could just be age, too. ;) While the budget is always a factor, the main reason my DCC purchases have dried up is I no longer have a group to run through them. :(

Harley said...

Kam,

It was a long time ago, maybe when Wilds was coming out. (?) Regardless, this coming release will meet even the tightest of budgets ... and if you don't have a group I'll run a game for you at GenCon. :)

//H

Mike said...

Sounds cool. Looking foward to reading about all the sweet projects that you're working on!

saurus said...

i just need to remember to buy lots of gencon exclusives and then sell them on ebay so i can buy you a real one and you can quit messing with the forge!

something cool and exciting from amsterdam for whomever can place that quote.

Harley said...

Groo. :)

"This is the forge."

"Where is the real one?"

//H

saurus said...

confound it! now i have to go buy you something :)