4.16.2005

Coming in May ...


Ed Gentry, the Don King of Shared World fiction, succeeded in selling a Realms of the Dragons II article to Dragon Magazine. Five or six of us contributed to the piece, which will be appearing in the May issue, #332. (The image I used is actually the cover of issue #331.)

If you’ve been a gaming geek since you were 8 years old, you understand how cool this is. Even though the article is short, even though I contributed only 250 words or so, even though most of those words were "wacky," "sidekick," and "titillation," getting a byline in Dragon Magazine is just plain exciting.

Selling articles to Dragon is something real writers do.

Somehow they haven’t spotted the pretender in their midst. I’m just going stay low, avoid turbo lasers, and see how long I can hold out.

Show us some love ...
H and I were back East for 2 weeks, with her family. Now I'm headed back up to Wyoming for more construction work. That leaves a load of unanswered emails. If you're one of those folks, please be patient just a bit longer.

"You can't, you won't, and you don't stop."
It's somewhere between 1 and 2 a.m., and sleep just made its dodge check. I can't complain because Ashlock is awake and New York is 2 hours ahead of Colorado.

Up at 2 in the morning, listening to the trucks pass on the highway. We have a finite number of days on this earth, and each time you let go of one, *poof* that's it. Of course, it's a mental trick --- all the disciplined writers I know get their work done between 6 a.m. and noon. It's just us hacks that sit awake, clinging to the night.

"Legacy of the Savage Kings" goes to the printers tomorrow. The proof editor passed along her compliments and a request for a sequel, which is always nice to hear. If you've read any of my work you know that it comes with more than its share of errors. Like Ed said: "If Harley sends you a story he claims he wrote, and there aren't any errors ... he's lying."

Finite lives. And people choose to spend them reading stories that you and I write. That’s enormous. As authors we incur a responsibility for those finite hours, to share and to teach, or at the very least, to entertain.

But enough of me wasting your finite life. Go out and write something wonderful, that only you could imagine. I can’t wait to read it.

12 comments:

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Congrats (to all five or six of you...how does that work in the byline, BTW?)!

Harley said...

Good question. Fortunately I've changed my name ot Aharley Astroh, so I should be listed first.

;)

Harley said...

Hey Marce,

How did you ever get into shared world fiction, anyhow?

Jeff LaSala said...

Dragon: I like being one of those people who knows how cool that is.

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Grims: Well, I'm not really "in" yet. ;) But, same as everyone else...gaming. D&D as a kid, then Rolemaster in college. Throw in a little bit of fan fiction and...what can I say? I just like playing in other people's playgrounds. ;)

Anonymous said...

Boy, how much can you milk one story?

Just teasing.

~Tank

Anonymous said...

Harley,

This is Sándor Lau. I've got a film at a festival in Boulder I thought you might like to see. Can't find your email anywhere. You can get mine off my website, www.sandorlau.net

Anonymous said...

O yeah!

Congratulation, this edition will be a keeper.

Justin/Seismo

Walt said...

Congradulations on getting the peice in the mag...

Are you doing any fan signings...

Regards,
Walt

Walt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
saurus said...

I think he had mistaken you for the other silver - silverlock. too many damn panzy people named silver these days. you need a real name - like bloodlust!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, a pity. Woulda been nice to actually meet the Grims man.

New name huh? How about Brother Shotgun of Moderation?