7.18.2005

Sneak in a quick 30
I was offered the great chance to write a sequel to a classic module, so I’m sneaking in an extra 30,000 words over the next 2 months. I’m finally starting to feel confident with the genre; that’s a nice feeling. It’s also pretty darn fun to type a title with the full knowledge that the work is headed to print. So long as White Wolf doesn’t show up looking for a book about vampires, I shouldn’t have too much trouble turning the projects in ahead of deadline.

In the same vein, Iron Crypt of the Heretics is due out next month, at Gen Con. After seeing the art and production of Legacy, I’m eagerly looking forward to seeing the art to IC. I love seeing what the artists come up with. :)

For Sale, Sold
A pair of authors I know recently had their works altered by their publishers. Nothing terribly damning in either case, but both serve as a good reminder of the foundation of our business. Namely, we are selling our works; as soon as the check hits the bank, the publisher is free to do as he or she will with the work. (There are legal intricacies that I’m ignoring, but you get the idea.)

This reinforces the importance of selling your work to folks you trust. A good relationship won’t prevent every bad experience, but it can go a long way to preventing hard feelings. There is the temptation to sell our writing to anyone willing to scrap together some cash (I still fall into this category), but a little discernment can go a long way.

What’s the Latin for “Let the Seller beware” ?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...


What’s the Latin for “Let the Seller beware” ?


I'm sure I'm messing it up 'cause I only had a year of latin ages ago, but I think it's like vendo caveo.

Anyway, H, are you GMing any of your DCC stuff at GenCon?

Anonymous said...

Naw. Showing up as observer only, unless it is for a special Noise only game. :)

Noise: we should chat some time and catch up...

//H

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Caveo venditor.

Congrats on yet another module! :)