6.14.2006

A Drifter walks into town …
We are living in a very, very strange time in the history of RPGs; ten years from now will we even remember d20? Heck if I know, but it is has created a boom-town like rush for those of us willing to weather tight deadlines and such.

The realist in me can’t help but look towards the inevitable bust. And it might just be this August if Wizards decides to release a non-open license fourth edition at GenCon. Those of us who moonlight as RPG writers need to branch out before it hits.

But between now and then I’m straddling the rush.

Heh. How many other gamblers, miners and saloon owners have said that before me? I’m just the latest in a long line of fools.

Still, it’s fun while it lasts, and you should see the dancing girls.

8 comments:

Jeff LaSala said...

Ahh, Harley! Master of Metaphors. Well said, as usual. :)

Mike said...

Well said.

Myself, I think that killing the OGL is just plain crazy - and that's not just because a lot of my own freelance writing opportunities will go bye-bye.

When 3rd edition D&D initially came out, I had virtually no interest in the game. It was only later d20 offerings by some other publishers (like Goodman Games and Privateer Press) that convinced me that I needed to buy the new Players' Handbook and learn the game.

One thing I know after ten years of working in the corporate world, though - corporations usually do crazy things. ;)

Harley said...

"...corporations usually do crazy things."

Amen. We'll see. It's just a good reminder for me not to get too comfortable. :)

//H

Anonymous said...

Man, I hated d20 and the OGL when it first started because every other game in the universe either went out of print or converted to d20. But now that people are realizing that there is still a market for non-d20 stuff, I'm less bitter.

Do you think there will be a 4th ed as soon as this year?

Mike said...

Do you think there will be a 4th ed as soon as this year?

Rumblings around the industry seem to indicate that's the case. That was certainly the big rumor floating around at GAMA this year. And if 4th Edition isn't coming this year, then it's probably heading our way next year.

ec said...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but would you drop me an email, Harley? I've got some GenCon-related questions for you, and I suspect that the Authors' Avenue email updates have not been finding their way to you.

ec said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lara said...

Just an FYI -- I noticed a few GenCon sessions on the topic of the future of d20.