7.12.2006

Brief note for 1 in the morning.
Gamers can be a vocal bunch when they get around to criticizing products. I’ve always tried to stay above the fray. If someone likes an adventure I’ve written, great; if not, no sweat.

The flip side of this is that every now and then a good review comes in. And very occasionally, over-the-top discussion threads begin praising the virtues of a certain work.

As tempting as it may be to indulge, these can be just as dangerous as the bad reviews.

Pride before the fall. Never believe your own ad copy. Keep your head down and keep writing as if you've never been published.

Good pole stars to chart by.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it, Grimmy.

But I'm glad you're getting some good reviews! :)

Cheers

P.S. Word Verification: "wzmio"

Wzmio! -- the final (or perhaps only) word of a feather fall spell.

Jw said...

I've done a few "controversional" murals here in Chicago. Controversial, meaning that one old lady across the street from the wall doesn't like it and starts raising a stink to the Alderman.

This is always disheartening to me, because the goal of said artwork is to please people, to make them interested in what is going on... yet I think that if people wouldn't stop telling me how awesome the mural was, I wouldn't believe them.

The fact that someone hated it enough to make their voice known is almost MORE of a compliment than constant praise. I really got under that lady's skin.

Nonetheless, I still prefer people to like my work!

Jw said...

My GOD that was a horribly written post! Now you see why I'd rather have someone like Harley writing in my book!

saurus said...

JW - I drove through Chicago a few weeks ago and hated the drive - does that count?

Jw said...

Saurus,

Did you use Lake Shore Drive? Because that's the only really good way to drive through town.

If you were on 90/94 however, my sympathies go out to you.

Anonymous said...

I think you should design yourself a custom deck to celebrate, H.

http://www.boardpusher.com/BP/

Anonymous said...

Hey -- totally unrelated, but I dropped you an email to poisonclanpress. Just trying to get it all worked out Let me know!

Cheers

saurus said...

90/94 all the way baby!

Ennie voting booth is open -

http://www.enworld.org/ennies/voting.php