11.16.2006

Lifestyles of the Poor and Infamous
Got a package in the mail today from Jon “TacoJon” Hershberger. Jon was the Man/Myth/Editor that brought the 1e version of Iron Crypt to life. He also did all the playtesting with his local group and also ran several Iron Crypt games at GenCon. A standup gentleman, by any standard.

Jon was sending me copies of IC 1e to sign for him and his group. The 1e version saw a very limited print run and so now copies run for $100 or more on ebay (hard to believe and even harder to rationalize). They did a second short "collectors" run, which has also sold out, but that has to do with scarcity instead of any inherent value.

I’m happy to sign copies for Jon and Company, but as I opened the priority mail box I saw that one of Jon’s friends had collected a copy of every module I’ve written. It was a bit overwhelming --- in a good way. To see that someone would care enough to get copies of them all was amazing. My first real “fan” experience, but a little boggling too, since there really isn’t anything to be a fan of. I need to write a letter back, or somehow signify my appreciation.

Heh. Maybe I need to get his signature. My first fan. You only get one!

In other news, still no word on the Vampire book, but White Wolf recently merged with CCP, the folks that bring you EVE. And since the co-founder of White Wolf is also my editor, I can imagine that his schedule is awfully busy right about now. Especially since, according to the White Wolf livejournal page, a good chunk of the WW staff is over in Northern Europe getting to know their new partners.

So, long story, short, who knows when I’ll hear about the book.

Till then, I hope you all are well! Thanks for reading.

//H

14 comments:

saurus said...

Damnit - you made it into ebay search results before I did! I guess there are benefits to being born first! I'll get you one day!

Anonymous said...

Just a couple suggestions from one rookie to another.

If you do include a thank-you note, hand write it. If you'd already thought of that, then please accept my suggestion as a shared first-instinct. Even if your handwriting is atrocious, (mine has steadly worsened since Junior Highschool), it's the thought that you took so many minutes out of your day to make something personal for them.

Also, if you have any sort of cool Goodman Games trinket, freebie, or collectable that you think this person won't already have, and you can afford to ship it back to him, include it.

That's a nifty one-two reply that will probably make a really nice impression, or even better, knock his socks off.

Just some ideas to round out the experience for him, and you.

~ J.L. Collins ~
www.jl-collins.com

Harley said...

Good advice, J.L. I'll see that I follow it.

Saurus-

See you in a few weeks! What do you want for Christmas?

//H

Harley said...

Thanks, Ed. Don't know about the growing fanbase so much ("Harley who?") but it's cool to connect with other gamers.

Good to have your website back, too. Do we all need to make new accounts? It doesn't seem happy when I show up and try to post.

//H

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the merger and the trip to Europe would explain the delay. Well, fellow finalist, here's to waiting with grace and quiet dignity . . . AHHHHHHHHH!!!! $#@!*&^*!^*!&%&*^$#$!^%#

//Joshua

PS - Have you chewed through all of your finger nails too? I'm starting to take up a little light yoga so that I can get to work on my toe nails.

Harley said...

Amen, Joshua. Finger nails, gone. Settling for just gnawing on the bone. I had secret hopes that they might let something slip at GenCon SoCal, but that's probably not the case. Maybe early December?

AHHHHHHHHH!!!! $#@!*&^*!^*!&%&*^$#$!^%# is right.

Still, good to know I'm not suffering alone.

//H

saurus said...

IC 12.5 1ed - currently 145 on ebay.

Damn. I knew I shoulda bought more than one :)

Harley said...

IC 12.5 1ed - currently 145 on ebay.

Fear.

//H

Anonymous said...

The folks that run EVE (CCP) are good eggs. They have a 10 year plan for their game, and they currently have one of the biggest game servers out there. They just pulled off Revelation (tonight) extremely well.

I think WW have found a good home, and hopefully you with them.

Anonymous said...

Harley,

I hope you don't mind the driveby. I'm in a holding patern here at the hospital.

FWIW, I think I probably qualify as fan #2.

tacojohn out

tj

Harley said...

Cath,

That's cool. They seem to have pulled off a "player devised plot" VR, which is pretty impressive when you look at the rest of the industry. I need to log on and look for the good ship Plastic Girl.

//H

Anonymous said...

It is absolutely critical that everyone observe the following video. It is instructional and entertaining:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pkjTM4AfYdU
Unity music.
Obi

Harley said...

"If you didn't feel that, we just had anothe one."

Obi, when you coming back to CO? Boulder campus police should be ready to release your scooter from impound...

//H

Anonymous said...

Harley, your name is everywhere! I'll have to keep an eye out out for the book too :) I had no idea!

Will you shoot me an email if you have time? Muchas!