11.01.2006

Not so Novel Novel Update
No news to report, save that my own “nails and needles” period has passed. Waiting for the rejection produced something akin to an emotional hangover which, thankfully, lasted only a little longer than the regular kind. I’m sure I’ll get worked up about it again when the next cycle of announcement dates comes through, but for now I’m pretty content. If this novel doesn’t sell, maybe the next one will. And if that one doesn’t, I’m confident the next one will for sure. ;)

Repeat as needed.

No school today, so I spent the morning skating, the early afternoon doing development work, and will spend remainder of the day writing. I’m about halfway through my 89k monster, and would like to put down another 5k today.


Meanwhile, the Sidedown monograph is looking really, really cool. Handmade books rule. This was the sort of thing I had hoped to pull off for GT, but Josh and Co. have the resources to do it right. I’m excited to see it come to fruition, if only to get the cool Sidedown pin. They’ll be taking preorders on the 13th, so dig behind the cushions in the couch and see what you can come up with.

In an amusing anecdote, seeing JW’s image for my story reminded me of the reading I gave of this little number. My writing has always been inextricably linked to my romantic life. Not being particularly charismatic, I've always relied on my stories to do the talking for me. I’d give my work to folks I was wooing, and the people I fell in love with would then appear in the stories. (You know who you are.)

The Giant is no different. Read this one before an audience in Boulder, initiating a whirlwind romance. And, as per the formulae, Giant has a lot to do with previous loves, albeit seen across a great divide.

Aren’t they all?

So it goes. Being your own romantic proxy: reason #489 to be a writer.

//H

5 comments:

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

That knee cap offer is still open. Just say the word. ;)

Harley said...

Heh. Thanks, Marce. You always got my bat ... er, back. ;)

//H

E said...

Hang in there, Harley. We do this to ourselves for a reason, as some of our fellow FR writers kindly reminded me recently...

Harley said...

:)

Well, it helped by making me giggle, if that counts as a cause.

//H

Anonymous said...

sk8temutt, j-digga here you know the freelance
(seldom scene
) monster a.k.a. ART miss you and h lots and now have joined the masses of sorts as i have just acquired a number and am no longer completely off the grid so check your messages on your phone and I'm so very proud that you've got the giant in print I still have my original hard copy;) all my love !
It ain't capitulating it's growing!