5.29.2007

The Return of Harley's Wasted Youth
I was just emailed the rough map of the town of Cillamar, a translation of the scans that I sent to the cartographer. It's very, very cool to see the maps "come to life" as it were, under the hands of a professional. It’s all about people taking the time to make me look good.

Cillamar is the town "home base" for the upcoming Castle Whiterock box set, and my most ambitious urban setting to date. I had the chance to work out a style by drawing up Frog Town, in Zeitgeist's Temple of the Frog, and then Hadler's Gap, in Saga of the Dragon Cult, but Cillamar makes both those settlements seem tiny by comparison. Greyhawk City was a perennial favorite back in the day, so if you’re familiar with the Jewel of the Flanness, chances are good you’ll see design similarities.

Mostly, inclusion of sewers. Can’t miss the sewers. :)

Tonight, rejections/acceptances for the DCC line. The writers have all been terribly, terribly patient with me and my day job, so it’s time to get caught up on my night job.

That and writing up the rough for a 1e (aka AD&D) release. For a long time I've had the sense that the perfect DCC offers THE adventure that we've all always known about, but that was never published. It is hard to convey the sense of satisfaction I get from penning down these missing bits of D&D lore. This one, especially, fits the bill. I hope folks like it.

Summer is looking good. Projects to work on, but no mammoths. Time to kick back and enjoy the writing.

//H

3 comments:

Mike said...

Coolness. World-building is always fun.

Any chance I can get a sneak preview of Cillimar? I get the feeling that I'm going to be using it in the next couple of weeks and months to come. :)

And looking forward to the 1st-edition goodness.

Harley said...

Mike,

She's headed your way. It's still in editing, so feel free to let me know what you think.

//H

Jeff LaSala said...

Hey, there. Any developments of that, err, particular region of Whiterock coming back my way? ;)