10.04.2007

Punk, Punk, Goose
More and more I'm reminded just how small of a circle this gaming-thing is.

To wit:

Back in the day I was a huge fan of the Blackhammer Project. If you were into R. Talsorian's Cyberpunk, Blackhammer's digs were the place to be. All the cool web design, all the best home brew --- the folks at the Project did what the rest of us bunny punks dreamed about.

Surfing the other night I came across the Project's new home: The Dread Gazebo. Lo and behold, the Hellhound himself was running DCCs for the ENWorld folks. Even cooler, he was running some of my work.

Instant geek love on H's part. Blackhammer playing in my game. Very cool.


IGGYS: A Pointless Story About a Knife
OR Size Does Matter

Back when we all wanted to write material like the Project, my friends and I wasted all our time mudding. We'd game all night until the Swedish servers kicked us off for their school day, then go grab dinner-at-dawn at Denny's and sit around recounting our night's triumphs and failures.

They were good times, especially if you were a shy kid just off the farm, who had never really had much in the way of friends with the exception of your little brother who was ten times more socially adept than you could ever be.

Anyhow. We were mudders, largely, because we were social misfits. We wore leather, rode skateboards, and found solace in shared exile. For lack of a better moniker we were punks. And sometimes --- just occasionally --- we’d get harassed by the jocks and would-be gangsters. So we got into the habit of carrying knives.

Flash forward a decade. Harley’s headed to GenCon and --- simply out of utility --- tosses his knife into the luggage. It's a long-ish flick knife, with a tanto style blade. Heather calls it the “I’m Gonna Get You Sucka” knife.

The knife came in handy during booth set-up, opening boxes and what not, but after the first day I stashed it in my courier bag and forgot about it. Not much chance of getting jumped on the streets of Indy, especially when you have the Saurus riding shotgun with the guy that threatens to bite off his own arm* whenever he gets cornered in a fight.

Sunday comes and I leave to catch my plane home. On the way through security I get pulled. What could possibly be the problem, officer?

…Oh yeah…

IGGYS didn’t make it back into my checked luggage. It’s neatly tucked away in my carry-on, conveniently located in case I need to get at it really quick.

Okay, not a problem, I’ve been here before when I (accidentally) tried to bring a collection of metal files onto a plane. You just mail them from the airport to your destination. Not a big deal –

Except that a crowd of TSAs have gather around IGGYS. They've opened the blade and are measuring it against a ruler. Hmmm.

(About this time, Case, all-around good guy and author of the brilliant City of Brass, makes it through security, assuring the gathering crowd that I’m world famous. In retrospect, the only way he could have made it through security was because half the staff was examining IGGYS. I was the decoy.)

Finally an officer breaks free of the crowd and walks over to me. Very politely she informs me that state law for Indiana restricts the blades of pocket knives to less than 4 inches. After that, you need a permit or you get arrested, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

The length of old IGGYS?

3.75 inches.

//H


*True story. I'll tell it to you at Christmas.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice story H.

J

Kameron said...

And your just telling us this now?!?!?! Two months after GenCon?!?!?

The real question is what will you do to top it next year? You're gonna actually have to get arrested or something. ;)

Anonymous said...

When you have a chance you should check out the GeekCats on Dread Gazebo. (http://www.dreadgazebo.com/geekcats/) They started with pictures of their own cats and friends have since sent them more. The results are hilarious, and made for gamers.

By the way, Hellhound isn't running D&D for "ENWorld folks" - the lovely Dextra is his wife. He's running your modules for his own family.

Harley said...

And your just telling us this now?!?!?! Two months after GenCon?!?!?

Heh. Everyone was sick of GenCon stories. :)

The real question is what will you do to top it next year? You're gonna actually have to get arrested or something. ;)

I'm sure you and I will come up with something. :)

Cass,

Thanks for the corrections. Is Dextra not = Denise, of the ENnies?

Regardless, it's cool that you're know those folks. I'm still the new kid. :)

//H

Anonymous said...

You are correct about Denise.

I'm still the new kid.
Hah! You're not any newer than I am. You just keep track of a different side of the industry.

saurus said...

i was sitting aroudn the house today melting chocolate into molds and thought a good name for a game would be 'otterpunk', where you could play an otter, with a chaingun to open coconuts or whatever it is otters eat.

you can all have a feast with that.

Anonymous said...

I still remember when you saved that bunch of twits' lives at the top of Horsetooth by laying a gentle hand on mine, as I darted a hand towards the punch daggers... I wonder if they will ever know what a debt they owe to you...

Harley said...

Saurus,

I went searching for "otter punk" images. Some furry action, but nothing much more than that. Need to sharpen my google-fu.

//H

Harley said...

Heyya, Cath. I was hoping you'd stop by. Good to see you around.

//H

Anonymous said...

I am always around, I just lurk moar... Life with an almost three year old almost always is 100x busier than you think it's going to be when you woke up. Add in a job, and some Cath sanity time...

Harley said...

Three years old. Damn ...

//H

Anonymous said...

"Hi Cass"

Three year olds - I got one of them there three year olds myself. Won't go potty for nuthin!

But otherwise, she's the _next_ apple of my eye. And i my case, I can't see the apple orchard for the beautiful apples...

taco