5.02.2005

The Road Home, Pt. II


I tried to get at this last night, but missed. Take two:

Back when Wizards hosted discussion forums for novels, Elaine offered sage advice to the hordes of hopefuls: submit and move on. She argued that waiting on a publisher was wasting time, time that could be better spent writing.

Great advice, though difficult to accept. At the time I thought it was directed at those of us that didn’t make the cut, but in the year since “The Road Home” was accepted, I’ve come to realize that her wisdom applies equally to writers on either sides of the equation.

To the point:

Situation: Didn’t make the big sale.
Result: Keep on writing and submitting.

Situation: Made the big sale.
Result: Keep on writing and submitting.

This isn’t just another optimistic pitch. The result really is the same. The only difference is how you choose to feel and behave in the interim.

None of the RotDII authors are made men (or women). We’re all still punching keys, still using those same 26 letters, still trying to tell (and sell) a good story, and ---more often than not--- still failing.

That’s liberating for me. Like a Zen fable, it’s full circle back to zero, obscurity and the good ol’ slush pile. The slush pile is a place I’m comfortable with. I can sharpen a shank from a toothbrush as well as the next.

Submit and keep on writing. Good advice then, great advice now.

7 comments:

Jeff LaSala said...

Yes, indeed!

I always try to do a little interpreting when I read your posts, Harley. Or I just send you a private email asking what's up. :)

All *I* know is, I'm interesting in anything and everything coming out of the world of H. Stroh. And SOF part 1 is the treat awaiting my commute home today.

Harley said...

*laugh*

Do you realize what an honor that is, Jeff? Try to ignore the typos.

//H

Harley said...

*laugh*

Do you realize what an honor that is, Jeff? Try to ignore the typos.

//H

Jeff LaSala said...

I'll also try to ignore the double posts. ;)

Harley said...

I tried to delete one, but blogger wasn't having it. :)

Anonymous said...

More Strohian wisdom, and well worth the damn wait.

;)


Justin

ec said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.