10.27.2006

Once upon a time in Wisconsin…

…there was Blackmoor, the 3rd release of a fledgling game system called Dungeons and Dragons. Blackmoor included an adventure (perhaps the first adventure?) entitled “Temple of the Frog.”

This summer I had the great privilege of working beneath Richard Pocklington, and got to write a fair portion of this:



Hopping your way in January, 2007. Temple of the Frog.



“I think I’m losing my mind this time, this time, I’m losing my mind.”
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to send their wishes and hopes. It’s encouraging to a noob, especially when so many (E.C., Paul, Jeff, Marce, Eric, Kam, Jaliegh, Ed) are published novelists.

But, as per E.C.’s advice, it is time to occupy myself with something else. My writing plate is full with editing, writing and I’ve even undertaken – in a pique of foolishness – a “for the hell/love of it” project. Clearly something else is called for, ideally something that doesn't involve -gasp!- writing.

Time get together with some friends and shake my groove thang with some friends.

Spackle’s coming up the mountain. The family is headed out for sushi and then some Aspen hiphop.

Shudder. Assuming you can get over the hurdle of that last sentence, know that it will be a good show. Hypocrisy aside, if you’re in the Rockies this Saturday, swing on by the BellyUp. Spackle and I will buy you a drink.

Till then,
//H

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read Dave Arneson ran your adventue as a fundraiser out in Cali. Any feedback?

http://www.avalonconventions.com/conquestsf/index.php?center=specialevents.php

~Tank

Jw said...

Okay, I have to say this: What is with the typesetting on this TotF book? The word "FROG" is the same hight as the extended serifs on the "T" in "Temple", but that's not right at all. Plust they used condensed AND wide text? That's a cardinal sin. A double cardinal sin!

The whole thing looks off-center and happenstance, but that effect is caused almost entirely by the title text.

I don't know if it's possible to bring that up, but it's really a shame. It detracts from the artwork.

Jw said...

And also, why is "FROG" in all caps? Man, this cover is pissing me off now. I'm sure the inner content more than makes up for it.

Harley said...

I can't answer those questions, but it delights me that JW would raise them.

//H

Anonymous said...

Your frog hops are sweet. As are your delicious moves du floor. Harley you are my hero and I love you like crazy...
J Obi

Anonymous said...

By the way. Your tunes are always fine. And you always fine-tune.
Yeah.
J Obi

Anonymous said...

This guy had a few things to say about the cover as well as a few other covers.
http://kevin-mayle.livejournal.com/27929.html

Anonymous said...

Sorry I couldn't make it up this weekend! I really wanted to see the new pad and the school (not to mention both of you!) I stayed sick all day Saturday and Sunday though, so it's good I was at home. Lame-o cold, ruining my fun, and my grading.