7.11.2007

NYC: The Shirt off My Back

Part, the First: The next 3 weeks I’ll be posting to you live from the sweltering heat of New York state. Once again I have the great privilege of traveling halfway across the nation, meeting incredible folks, learning a fair bit about community development, and hopefully – just maybe – improving myself.

If nothing else I come away with story ideas and a renewed appreciation for Lovecraft.

Part, the Second: I’ve never been terribly good about buying clothes. It bores and terrifies me. The happy result of this is that all my friends (not wanting to spend time with a naked Harley) end up giving me clothes. The result is that all my favorite articles of clothing once belonged to friends, spouses or family members. But with relatives and friends spread across the globe, I don’t receive clothes like I used to, so in the last couple weeks I’ve been forced to --- gasp --- actually go out and look for something to buy.

Again, bored and terrified. Still if you’ve got to wear something, it might as well be interesting. Or at least have an interesting story. Wearable art, as it were.

Though I was (and remain) unable to find good Sisters shirts on the net (Reptile House, I’m looking at you), I did come across 2 cool t-shirt designs. One belongs to La Marca del Este folks (a Spanish gaming group), another to the Collabros (design artists for Zoo York skateboards), but sadly neither was really for sale.

And yet after complimenting both on their designs, both offered to send me shirts.

Gaming and skateboards. New friends giving me new shirts. Very, very cool.

Add to this the Wentz Choose Death logo design (to be unveiled at GenCon!) and Harley is feeling fairly stylish.

For a shy geek, that is.

Getting clothes off the net.

Ah well. At least I haven’t had to buy anything at the mall.

//H

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard NOT to buy tee shirts at conventions, even if you have no intention of doing so. Those tee shirt people go for the hard sell.

Annecdote time!

As I was passing by one booth at one small con a couple of years back, the proprietor started waving a shirt that read, "Goddesses Are Not Annorexic!" and brightly assured me they had it in plus sizes. Makes sense. And it would have been fine, I guess, if only I'd asked. But her approach was only a step or two down the caffeinated scale from yelling at a passerby, "Hey you! Yeah, that's right--the BIG bitch. Have I gotta shirt for you!"

ec

Jeff LaSala said...

I'm not stylish by any stretch, but when it comes to t-shirts, I'm the anti-Harley. I can't stop getting them. My recent acquisition is a Castle Greyskull shirt from Hot Topic.

As Elaine suggested, GenCon forces you to walk away with at least one. Even Harley's not immune to that. Some of us Goodman affiliates were walking around with the eye-gouging kobold from one of Harley's module.

Anonymous said...

H, speaking of the CD logo... I've got some sweet stuff to show you on Monday morning- you will like!

Mike said...

Crossposted from the comments of my own blog, on the off-chance you hadn't seen this:

H. -

Do I want to go to see Transformers? Absolutely.

Am I anywhere close to your NY location? Unfortunately not.

Basically, if I open my door and throw a rock, I can hit Pennsylvania from my house. And this Friday's kind of nutty anyway.

You going to be in the area longer than Friday night? If you are, I'm sure I can figure something out.

Mike said...

Additionally, I'm guessing from your post that you *will* be in the area for a bit. Cool. Hopefully we can meet up pre-GenCon ...

Harley said...

Mike,

I'll be around until the end of July ... but no car. :( Maybe I can get a taxi and meet you half way?

//H

saurus said...

You totally need one of these if you're not buying stuff at the mall - Bears: Godless Killing Machines. I'd get you one, but i don't know your size and you never write me anyhow :P

Anonymous said...

You have some good friends... the shirt off their backs, eh? technobi

Anonymous said...

Didn't I hear you wildin' out with Mos Def in Brook-town last night? Or at least rockin' the Catskills?
techKNOWbi

Harley said...

High five, more dead than alive! Rocking the polyhedro's like the man from Menudo.

Wait ... turn that sh*t off, man. Put on the other record.

//H

Fencing Contractors Suffolk said...

Niice blog post