10.20.2005

NaNoWriMo;
Or “No Time for Love, Doctor Jones!”


Yep. It's that time of year again. If you haven't heard of the organization/event, the folks at NaNo bill themselves as such:

"National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30."

The point is to drop any inhibitions and simply write. Good, bad, or ugly, you too can be a novelist by the end of next month. Check out http://www.nanowrimo.org/ for support and information.

I've known about these guys ever since Marce turned me on to the event, but I've yet to participate. Something in my gut has always regarded any personal involvement as counterproductive; for better or worse, rich or for poor, I’m here for the long haul. Harley’s Personal Writing needs MORE self-editing, not less.

However, if you’re among the thousands of writers that just need a little kick start, this might be the event for you. For my part, NaNo is certainly something I'd like to do before I die, simply for the experience.

One last note. NaNo is a great organization, but you don't need them to help you write a novel in a month. Any month can be your own personal "XXXXX words or bust!" event. Just a friendly reminder --- it starts and ends with you.

5 comments:

Harley said...

Heh. SB novel in a month? It's possible, and you could release it through cafepress.

Be very afraid.

Harley said...

Huzzah!

A book in a month ... can't wait to read it!

//H has been awed into submission

saurus said...

Dear Penthouse,

I never thought it would happen to me....

That's as far as I got :(

Harley said...

I still love it when *rotfl* actually means what it stands for. Good to see you, Saurus...

BTW, what are we doing for Christmas?

Anonymous said...

This is so tempting. . .

Then I remember: Erik, what the hell are you doing? You have deadlines!

And I sigh.

Happy month's writing, everyone!