2.21.2006

[Begin Pimping]
Goodman Games
So I did a froogle search for my adventure modules today, trying to see how cheap I could get them. To my delight, at two different sites each was the best seller of its category.* But that’s not point of this post.

One of the stores was in the UK. For some reason (maybe because the original Fiend Folio was printed in the UK) this was overwhelming. Suddenly I realized that this is real. I’m getting to write, and it I'm being published by people who make sure I don’t look like an idiot. The modules are being played at conventions as demos, some are being converted to 1st Edition AD&D (?!), and some are being used as tournament modules.

That’s huge to me. Even though what I write won’t save the world, even though what I write isn’t even considered fiction, it is the thing I’ve been dreaming about doing since the age of 7.

This isn’t intended to be some sort of self-congratulatory post. (“Harley is so great. Look what he has accomplished.”) Instead, it is intended to convey the amazement and gratitude I feel, towards you all, and towards anyone who has ever bought or played something I wrote.

Emotionally, it feels like watching a sunset. I’m not the one responsible, but I am taking part in something amazing. GenCon is rapidly approaching. I hope you drop by to see us, if only so that I can give you a big hug.

And, as always, a special Deathy thanks is due to the McCoy family, and everyone else who has been gracious enough to playtest one of my works. You guys are half the reason these modules ever see print.

*This is not the point of the post. At much larger sites, my work doesn’t even show up until #67 or so. And “Best Seller” is a moot point since I don’t know how they run their calculations. “Of all the crap sent to us by Harley Stroh, this stuff at least sells.”

Again, this is not the point. But if you want to see for yourself, Legacy of the Savage Kings rocks the UK. (Where it is currently sold out! Boggle.)

While the Iron Crypt is enjoying a run at Paizo.

Is there no end to his ego?
Dragon's Landing Inn
Just stumbled across this last night. In Episode 20 they do an interview of Joseph Goodman, in which he talks up some of his writers. Fun to hear. :)
[/Mercifully ends pimping]

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Harley, awesome!

You and I are in a similar place, not knowing what all these measurements mean. I've got no idea how many copies of Ghostwalker are selling out there -- all I've got to go by are the people who tell me they liked it.

So -- you going to run one of these modules in August? 'Cuz I know I won't be able to do one on you. You'll know all the tricks!

Cheers

P.S. Apropos gaming at Indy: I started a thread over there at that one place about an authors' tourney. You in?

Harley said...

"So -- you going to run one of these modules in August? 'Cuz I know I won't be able to do one on you. You'll know all the tricks!"

Heh. Thanks for the compliment, but it isn't true. At GenCon ask Alex to show you the first iteration of “Savage Kings.” It ain’t pretty.

Even though I strive to make all the modules “spot on” when it comes to rules, my own games are pretty fast and loose.


“Apropos gaming at Indy: I started a thread over there at that one place about an authors' tourney. You in?"

I check that one place and see if I can make it. Thanks for the invite!

ec said...

Both the wonder and the hair-rending uncertainty of this gig can stay with you for a long time. I still have moments of giddy, "lookit that, Ma!" excitement, and at the oddest things. Seeing one of my books in a supermarket, for example. :)

Anonymous said...

Spackle,

You'll have a room if you come! You can even have the bed... ;)

//H

Kameron said...

Wow, you got some pretty good air time there. That's so cool.

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

I can't listen to it for some reason! :( Some one tell me what he said...I want to bask in the reflected light of Harley glow, too! ;)

Harley said...

Naw. It's a little thing.

Mostly it is just nice to know that the publisher has faith in the stuff I write.

saurus said...

I want to bask in the reflected light of Harley glow, too!"

eeerg. i have to go boil my monitor now...

saurus said...

"I would just never see that coming and that's great as a DM and even better as a player."

So when's my Taco Slaad coming into action?

ec said...

Wish I could listen to the podcast, but I temporarily lack the technology. Still, it's good to hear reports from those who have! Mozel tov!

Stuart said...

Hey, don't aplogize for pimping your work. :)

The shout outs to ole Harley are around minute 19 in the podcast, btw.

Anonymous said...

Taco Slaad. Hehehehehehe. :)

//H