4.24.2006

Trashcan Dream Come True
At 8:19, Monday morning, War of the Witch Queen is Goodman Games’ #1 hot seller on RPGNow. The Iron Crypt is #11, and even old Savage Kings comes in at a respectable #19. Even more fun, Witch Queen is presently ranked #13 of all RGPNow’s d20 products sold in the last week.

These rankings are actually a bit deceptive because, upon release, all of the DCC modules sell really well. The phenomena is akin to box office releases. As each module is released it shoots to #1, only to be replaced by the newer modules. There are some perennial favorites, not least of which are The Emerald Cobra, and Idylls of the Rat King, penned respectively by Mike Ferguson and Jeffery Quinn, but my modules (which are – to my devilish delight - regularly dissed by the critics) have yet to ascend to those hallowed ranks.

So if Harley’s vanity isn’t the point of this post, what is?

Just that, for no better reason than dumb luck and persistence, I’ve had the chance to live out the dream of a lifetime. Getting paid to write about dungeons and dragons? C’mon, let’s get real. This weekend I hung out at the skate park, went for walk with Heather, and wrote about vampires. This summer I’m going to the largest gaming convention in North America, and maybe the world. (Although instinct tells me that there has to be some crazy conventions in Japan. Any thoughts, Alex?)

Pretty good for a kid that can’t spell. And that’s the real point of all this. If Harley can do it, you can. Heck, half of you have proved that already. And the other half are in wings, waiting for that golden moment of opportunity + preparation. And it will come along.

If this all ends tomorrow and I never have the good fortune to publish another word again, I’ll still have to count myself a fortunate man. And I can’t wait to see you name on the big marquee.

Of Vampires
When I was little, I used to dread large parties on my birthday. Fortunately we ended up moving out into the country, where the nearest neighbor was literally miles away, so block parties were never much of a problem.

And even though I’ve grown up – at least a little – there’s still a large part of Harley that dreads people looking in his direction.

In 38 days (but who’s counting?), I’ll turn in the book, imperfections and all. And in the 2 to 3 months it takes White Wolf to read the novels and decide, many eyes will be turned this way. Instincts tell me to do everything in my power to undercut your expectations.

Why? I don’t know. I desperately want this book, but I’m still terrified to be the cool kid. Childish? Absolutely. Immature fears? Likely.

So when I write that the novel has little chance of winning, don’t take it as humility, because I’m not that noble. Understand it instead as a demonstration of fear. In my heart of hearts, I think this book might just have a chance, but you’ll never catch me saying that.

;)

6 comments:

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

"...but I’m still terrified to be the cool kid."

I hear that. Stoked to have the opportunity, petrified that you're going to screw it up. I am SO there.

"In my heart of hearts, I think this book might just have a chance, but you’ll never catch me saying that."

S'okay, Grimmy. You've got us to say it for you. ;)

Harley said...

You're the best, Marce. :)

ec said...

Great news on the game modules! Mazel (heh...) tov!

Sending positive thoughts your way re the White Wolf competition. :)

ec said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Well, Grim -- we can't predict the future with any certainty (though I fancy your chances at, mmm, 85%), so I suppose we'll just have to support you, through:

1) our continual avowals of support (you got it!),

2) use of dark enchantments to ensnare the wills of WW's editors (unlikely to succeed), and

3) epic albeit cryptic warcries to rally the troops, e.g. . . .

"Come wrath! Come fury! Harley Stroh arises!"

Hang in there, Champ. We're pulling for you. :)

Cheers

Harley said...

Heh. Thanks for the kind words, E.

See you at GenCon!